Save On Your Move
Moving house can be a stressful time financially. Costs build - you may be required to pay double rent, and you have to pay utility connection fees, as well as hiring removalist services or a truck.
Hiring a removalist is a good way to ensure that your move is completed in a timely fashion and doesn't drag on for days. Leaving the relocation to the experts does have its downfalls though, as they're charging you for labour as well as the truck and equipment used during the job.
With this in mind, it pays to keep to some basic principles when hiring a removalist service, to ensure that the job goes as quickly and smoothly (and therefore cheaply!) as possible.
Remember, the more prepared you are, the more money you'll save on your move.
- Removalists usually pack the truck starting with the biggest items. Make sure your hallways are clear so the movers can get access to your beds and couches.
- It's better if boxes are neatly stacked, and not overfilled. Overfull boxes may require more hands to move, or they can fall apart, putting your items at risk and using up precious time
- You can leave your clothes in your tallboy or chest or drawers, but the movers may remove the drawers while handling, and return them at the end
- Call on your friends and don't be afraid to pitch in yourself - many hands make light work, and we're always happy for the help.
- Weekdays are cheaper, and you have more say on what time of day your move takes place - see if you can get a midweek day off to do your move.
- Does your bed come apart? If you can dismantle it and any other reducible items (especially flatpack furniture, like IKEA) then you will save a lot of time
- Ask the movers to focus on the bigger items, and leave what you can get in your own vehicle - this can be a real money saver, as your movers grab the big-ticket items and don't spend ages getting smaller things you could have taken yourself
- Box or bag all small items so that they can be easily carried to the truck and back again
If you manage to do all of the above, you should be looking at a very affordable move. For more helpful tips, give our office a call on 03 94173443.